Built in 1802, the Buchanan-Harding House (commonly referred to as the 1802 House) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Closeness to Nashville, frontage on the rivers, and the abundance of springs, wild game and rich soil made the Two Rivers property valuable from the first time it was settled in the 1790’s. Among the original owners of portions of the land was Andrew Jackson who resided close by on Hunters Hill before he purchased the Hermitage. David Buchanan built the first home on the property in 1802, a two story Federal style brick that still stands.
William Harding purchased the 476 acres farm from Willie Barrow at the confluence of the Cumberland and Stones River. Harding acquired additional land totaling 1100 acres before settling down and marrying the neighboring Elizabeth Clopton in 1830; he died in 1832 shortly before their only child was born. Daughter, William Elizabeth Harding, was named in honor of her parents, and would inherit the plantation upon her marriage to her cousin David H. McGavock in May of 1850. The young couple and their only son Frank lived in the 1802 house while they planned and built the Mansion in their backyard.
The Friends of Two Rivers Mansion is a 501(c)3 dedicated to raising community awareness about the home, its heritage, and to raising funds to preserve this piece of local history. We need your help to continue this important work.